Endnote or other alternatives?

to those thinking of using something like endnote, it is very pricey. even for students with valid student ID who get a 50% discount, it is still expensive. tim has put up an entry on his blog about an alternative called Zotero which is a Firefox plugin. it can do something similar (but with lesser flexibilities). go to tim's blog below to see the full blog entry (with some screenshots).

Referencing for the financially challenged


Rich students/scholars and those in institutions with the clout to get a good deal use Endnote (or some similar full featured expensive) bibliography and referencing tool. The rest of us use Zotero, which is a brilliant free Firefox addin. That I have mentioned before but has got even better with version 1.0. Zotrero is great for taking the info from webpages, and often Library catalogues. It would extract the data from the University catalogue, but I'm no longer teaching at the Uni, and the College catalogue is not Zotero compatible. My workaround has been to search Google and click the Amazon link - Amazon is Zotero compatible - but that only works for recent books, enter a tip from Judy Redman, that I bookmarked long ago, but only really tried today: use WorldCat you can even get a Firefox tool to add WorldCat to your search box in the tool bar (I know the first one works, but do try the second):

OCLC WorldCat Catalog worldcat.org and away you go, fast, free and accurate referencing, now just click and paste into your essay/article/book...

Type in a search term (left) and you go to a page (right) from which you can select the book you need and from the page that appears (below) and for a moment watch in wonder the Zotero "Saving Bibliography Item" message before right clicking the new entry, and presto you are ready to enter the item in your document!

appendix:
chris heard has dropped in to give his comments on endnote. for mac users, he suggests bookends.

there is also something called Refworks. anyone have any experience with that?


Updated: tim has added a second entry on how to install and use Zotero. this entry has him narrating along which makes it like a tutorial! check it out:

http://www.bigbible.org/blog/2008/01/zotero-is-brilliant-and-integrates.htm

Comments

I used EndNote (please note the correct spelling of the name, which does not end in "s") but abandoned it a couple of years ago. I got tired of the yearly "upgrades" which often didn't improve the software significantly and yet cost around $100. EndNote was also slow to the Unicode party, so slow that I eventually gave up on it. I now use Bookends, but it's only available for Mac OS X. Danny Zacharias (I think) put together a whole set of Bookends style filters for SBL style, making it a real jewel in my toolbox.
thanks chris for the correction.

i am just evaluating it with a student's copy of endnote x1 to see how user friendly it is. a bit late for me to use on my thesis as it is nearing completion. i cannot afford the program myself as it is over 1,100 malaysian dollars (50% discount if i am a student)!
Tim Bulkeley said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim Bulkeley said…
Anthony, do try Zotero, it does most of what people need, and it is free, and getting better and better all the time. (See also my second post that tries to clear up some misunderstandings.)
Alex Tang said…
hi Anthony,

I am using EndNote 9.0.1 which I find very useful, flexible and user friendly. I did not have to do yearly upgrades. EndNote is also upto date with the Unicote.

I shall be interested to know about your experience with Zotero
Anonymous said…
Zotero uses Unicode natively, it reads Hebrew right to left for example, and understands.